Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Saturday, December 29, 2012

Peace & quiet

I am learning more quickly in life that it is so much more about precious moments in time than anything else.

Tonight I was able to have some of those moments that I will remember forever. The sounds. The smells. The snuggles.

After pumping for his midnight feeding, I was able to sit and hold O for an hour. 60 minutes of him and me. In peace and quiet.

It was amazing.

He is such a sweet baby, with a bit of a feisty side when he needs it (thankfully!). I could watch him sleep all day and it occurred to me tonight that this might be the only time we get together just he and I.

So I soaked it in.

As I snuggled, I was reminded how much I take for granted in life. And not because of anything specific, but just because I get swept up in the day to day craziness of having kids and life.

I was reminded how amazing the miracle of life really is. We created these beautiful children that He planned for us to raise and get to learn so much from them each day.

I was reminded how incredible modern medicine is. And how lucky we are that all of our children have been able to move past their health issues we've faced so far.

I was reminded of my favorite verse...faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you cannot see.

I realized all that I truly hope for is my family's happiness and for my kids to feel the enormous love we have for them.

I remembered back to these moments I was able to have with the other kiddos as well. With Kate, it was our first day home from the hospital alone. She was a month old after her NICU stay and I was still growing into my role as a mom, on my own with my baby (finally). With Andy, it was in the hospital after everyone had visited for the day. I hadn't ever had a baby in the hospital that could room in with me and i didn't sleep much at all that night. I just wanted to hear him breathe and watch him sleep all night. With Colton, it was also our first quiet time together, but with him it was nursing. He was the first that caught on to it and that i didn't have to pump for. The experience was more than I expected it to be and the closeness is never forgotten.

Peace and quiet.

What a gift for the soul and heart and mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!