Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Not great....not terrible...

So today we met with the perinatalogist again for the follow-up fetal echo and growth scan.

Good news...
  • The heart wall is not more thickened than the last time.
  • The fluid around the heart is no worse either.
  • The baby is measuring at 6 lbs 2 oz  which is the 53%ile!!  (This is great for baby!  I am a little nervous as C was our biggest baby at 6 lbs 6 oz---This baby could be HUGE in comparison--not so great for mama;)
Not so great news...
  •  During the ultrasound it was noted that the blood pressure flow was high in the umbilical cord.  So this is apparently an issue that could cause greater problems (low birth weight, placenta deterioration, for example).  
So....
These blood flow issues could all lead to baby coming into the world sooner than expected.  Also, if this went undetected, it could lead to a stillbirth.  WHAT?!?!  From here on out, I will be monitored twice a week.  Once at the peri's office for a biophysical profile ultrasound (to monitor heart rate, breathing, movement) and once at the OB's office for a check-up and NST. 

As far as baby's heart, the pediatric cardiologists will perform an echo once he is born.

And more so....
I am freaking out.  Finally (some would say).  I really feel like I have taken much of the past months news in stride because I knew I would have a little squirt to snuggle and love in whatever form.  But I have to say, when the conversation leads to possibly losing your child, a diagnosis like DS became the last thing on my mind.  When the doc mentioned that stillbirth was a risk, I almost lost it.  However I think I hid it pretty well until the parking lot with B.

I feel more like a ticking time bomb than ever.

We will be induced around New Year's if baby is not already here.  Hoping and praying that he will stay cooking as long (and a safely!) as possible.  We are so grateful for the amazing team at our new peri's office. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!