Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Monday, February 11, 2013

Keeping on keeping on

It has been a few days, but things are still going very well here. Colton is getting around better, although he still limps.  The older kids are staying healthy and Owen is good as well!  I am knocking on wood that none of us had gotten sick other than the head colds that seem to linger, but I will take that over any of the other junk going around any day!

My laugh for today comes in appreciation of civic duty.  Don't get me wrong; I am a social studies geek and would love to serve on a trial.  I am fascinated by our government and its processes. I just can't fathom doing it right now.  I had gotten called in the late fall, but due to my pregnancy and complications, was deferred to now.  I submitted and excusal for this time as well, due to nursing and being the primary caregiver, and it was denied until I have a letter from a health care provider. 

Love the nurse at my OB's office.  When I called and told them, she just said "Like you don't have enough going on right now?" She said they will have a letter for me this afternoon. :)  So we will see!

Otherwise, we have Owen's repeat ABR hearing test scheduled for the end of March.  Thankfully they are going to do it again WITHOUT having to sedate or put him under general anesthesia.  If they do it after 3 months, that is the case. Praying that we get some answers that day and that we don't have to pick out baby hearing aides anytime soon!  But, whatever will be will be and we just want him to have what he needs.  So another we will see!

B and I have met with a few other builders and the more we plan and process, the more I just want to be in a new house!  I know it will be a lot of work, but we can't wait to have more space for everyone (although we will surely still be on top of each other all the time, I'm sure!).  Hoping to be in the new place by this time next year!  But (you guessed it!) we will see!

The best quote I have heard lately: I'd rather have my hands full than empty.  

That says it all for me.  I'd much rather have the crazy chaos of life than a quiet house with no little ones.  Things may drive me crazy, but they are what this life is truly about and I need to remind myself how lucky and blessed we are. 

I'd rather have my hands full than empty.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! We are scheduled for the sedated ABR in April...I really hate to do this. Are they just going to try the regular hearing test with the probes in the ears?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I just spent several hours reading and processing your blog. What an incredible journey you and your family have been on. God so did choose the right family to love this little guy! I know Horn's from church--and you are right, they look at every step of their journey as a blessing just as you have. Sending lots of prayers your way for God to continue to wrap your family in his loving arms. Take care. Jan Keese

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!