Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Thursday, May 2, 2013

Support

I really feel like everything happens for a reason.

Too many things are coincidental in life and in hindsight, many more carry deeper connections that originally seen.

It has been incredible to me how many amazing people I have already met during this introduction to the community that is centered around Down syndrome.  The connections come in many times a day.  A new good friend who lives across the world started a site for women with a prenatal diagnosis. this alongJust this week, 2 new women joined the group that are within hours from me.  Wow. One of which is now in contact with a member from one of the FB groups because they live so close to one another! Double wow.

I get emails weekly from some lovely soul that has read this blog that has a new diagnosis.  I get emails, calls and messages from friends and family that have a friend or friend of a friend that has come into the DS world (often without warning).

To the readers that I do not know - thank you for reaching out.  I am completely humbled when I am told that our story has touched a life and/or made a difference for you and your family as you jump in the deep end.

To those that I know that pass along my information, blog, anything!, to someone in need of support - thank you (from me and from them!).  It may not be something that everyone is ready for right away, but it is a great resource to have when that time comes.  One thing that I have grown to understand is how differently this diagnosis impacts lives.  Each person comes to their own terms in their own time.  The more resources available for that time, the better.

To those that read and follow along with our lives - thank you for your love and support.  I have to say that with this diagnosis has come some pleasant surprises.  People that I have lost contact with have reconnected and shared stories of faith, hope and love. People that I would consider acquaintances before have become great supports.  People that I never even knew (from places I never even knew existed) know more about my life that some of my closest friends.

Amazing.  

And all because of one extra chromosome.

Here is a list that I wanted to provide for those of you that may be following this (although I still really think it is my sister in law and mom only!)  Please feel free to join us, if you are in a category that applies.  Or, if you know someone that would benefit, please pass it along.

T21 Pregnancy Support FB group
:

Parents with kids rockin' the extra chromosome FB Group:

BabyCenter Down Syndrome Pregnancy Board:

BabyCenter Down Syndrome Board:

Down Syndrome Blogs:

Gigi's Playhouse


Down Syndrome Pregnancy Information

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing women! I'm proud to call you a friend. You have created something special and I thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!