Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Sunday, August 13, 2017

Dusting off the old blog.....5 years later

This time of year I always get a little sentimental.

It is really surreal to think that I started this blog nearly 5 years ago already.  I loved to write and I was going through something and needed an outlet, so a blog seemed like the perfect way to capture and document it all. And it was; until I got so busy with life and 4 kids that a quick photo or FaceBook update were much more manageable. But this might be the year that changes...

5 years ago today, I was busy readying 2 big kids for school, tending to a 1 year old, helping care for my sister and niece and looking at house plans.  But I was also getting ready for "the big ultrasound" next week where I could finally find out if I would be buying more blue or (finally) some more pink.  After a very rough go through my first several pregnancies (a missed miscarriage, a 32 week preemie and another miscarriage), I had a much easier time with with the boys thanks to a little bit of bedrest and progesterone shots to help stave off preterm labor.  I was so excited to find of the sex of baby #4 and it was getting so close.

But, like most things in life, that day did not go according to plan. I wrote about that appointment and the rest of the pregnancy afterwards.  Although I didn't share the blog widely for quite a while, it brought me much comfort and I love to now go back and reread all the raw emotion of the experience.

Moments have a way of making their mark...
I can still hear the words from the doctor.
I can still feel the lump in my throat as I left the office.
I can still remember the many tears in the car.
I will never forget the words I spoke to my husband and those he told me as he comforted me so.

And as painful that day seemed at the time and as I sit today, even on those days that adulting is hard,  I am grateful for those moments that together became a day when I knew my path had shifted.

Today my life is something that I never imagined, but somehow could not picture any differently now.  I wrote a freaking book! I am the Executive Director of an organization that didn't exist 5 years ago and now serves over 4000 families. I have a busy, amazing, wonderful family life - including backyard chickens. I have developed friendships around the world. But I really can't imagine it any other way.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!