Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Friday, February 1, 2013

A moment

The house is quiet...
(for the moment-which I have now probably jinxed).

Today was one of those days.  Not really a minute to just be.  

The great news: Colton got his cast off.  

The less than great news: We are supposed to keep him off of it for the next week (Insert laugh here).

B took him so that Owen didn't have to go out (the "high" today was still -20 with the windchill).  When he relayed all the doctor said, I was ticked.  How on EARTH am I going to keep him from walking?  For a week.  While taking care of a baby.  Oy.  

And it is clear the little guy is still not comfortable, so it broke my heart this afternoon when I was feeding O and he got off the couch and tried to stand up against the ottoman.  Crying commenced almost immediately and he sat down.  

I lost it too.  I think it was probably a lot of pent up frustration with the lack of control in life right now, but I needed the moment.  I held Colton and we just comforted each other and had our moments.  

Thankfully he did much better as the night wore on.

Why do I include this tonight?  Not sure.  All is quiet and I ate dinner (at 10 pm, but who is counting?) and I have a few minutes to think.  

That is the scary part!

Yesterday it occurred to me that I needed moms around me. My husband has been extraordinary through all this, but he can only listen to me so much.  I have AWESOME friends and family that I can call at any hour (and have!), but I was feeling this deep need to connect with other new moms to the DS club.  

There are local groups here and I have met several moms and communicated with others, but many of them have older kiddos.  They have been INVALUABLE in sharing their experiences and I am so grateful for their willingness to share. But, I was \also looking for other moms that are right in the thick of things. And I found them!

I put together a FB page and invited other new moms to join me.  As of tonight, we have 24 members!  So many cute little squirts to look at and read about their journey.  It has been just what I needed and I am so excited to get to know these women and families from around the globe. 

Reading their stories today has helped me re-center myself. 

We all have a path to follow and walking it with others can be powerful.

I would never have guessed that after an incredible snow day home alone with 4 kids yesterday it would have been that moment with Colton that would have caused a meltdown today. Funny how those pesky emotions pop up when you least expect them to, huh?


1 comment:

  1. Good morning! I have been following your blog for a month or so, can't quite remember. I think I found your blog on the Ds babycenter group. I have a little boy with Ds that is almost 15 months old. I am also looking for people in the thick of things and am starting a parent support grip for my county since there isn't one. I'd love to join your Facebook page, if you could possibly send me a link or tell me the name. Best of luck with everything - including Colton's leg!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!