Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Monday, August 5, 2013

So blessed

It really is how I feel more often than not.  Well, it is how I feel when I have 5 quiet minutes in our home and in my heart. 

Blessed beyond belief would also be an appropriate name for the blog.

This past few weeks have brought about many reminders of blessings. 

Family.  My greatest challenge and love and success (most days!). 

We celebrated Colton as he turned 2. Wow.  My little squirt is 2. Where did that time go?  From his brown little cowboy boots that go with EVERYTHING, to his giggles and facial expressions, he is has brought so much more joy to our home. I look at his adorable smile and quickly forget what ever minor crime he has recently committed. Can you blame me?




He is also such a powerful reminder to me as to the greater plan in life.  Because he came into our lives, I have had the opportunity to grow into the person I strive to be. 

Amazing how children have a way of doing that, huh? I learn from the little army we've created every day and they encourage me to be the mom they deserve and need.  

2 years ago I walked away from a job that I loved. Today, I am exhausted. Tired.  Worn out.  But in a really wonderful way. Although I sometimes think it would be less work to actually work, I do not regret a minute of any day home with these kids.  I will really be missing the kids as they head back to school. 

This week we are also preparing to celebrate Sir Andy.  He will be turning 7.  Yep, I said it.  7.  He is growing into such an awesome kid.  His sense of humor has us laughing all.the.time. (And in other rooms when we can't let him know how funny he really is!).  He can't wait to be an inventor someday and I am confident he will do anything he sets his mind to.  It truly is a gift to watch your children grow and become the people they will be.



Here is our almost-seven year old at the zoo checking out his favorite animal- the rhinoceros.  He was in heaven!  Although it only fueled his desire to go on that African safari.  Someday!

Miss Kate and I had a big week too!  Girl night out with Taylor Swift (and a few thousand other people).  Concert tickets for her birthday were totally worth it. It was so neat to watch the concert through her eyes.  It was a late night, but she was soaking in every minute. The smiles on her face and listening to her sweet voice sing along was awesome.  A high point of the evening was watching Taylor come around near our section and perform just a few feet away for several songs.  I thought the girls were going to go nuts! She loves to write songs and I hope this showed her what is possible with a dream and lots of hard work.  If nothing else, the girl time was wonderful.  Kate has been such a tremendous help this summer with the little boys and I will miss having her kind and sweet little self around when school starts soon.


Speaking of blessed, can you believe all the "no-news" in this post?!  I must remember to continue to post in these incredibly blessed days and will try to do it more often. 

SuperO has been his normal wonderful self.  He has been healthy and happy (unless it is bath time or his soon-to-be-through teeth).  He is getting much stronger and working on sitting up.  Owen has quite the appetite and loves to chew on his puffs.  He is getting the straw cup down pretty well and loves to be outside. So far, so good.  Boring is fabulous these days!

If you are looking for some entertainment, check out the page he has with one of his gorgeous little buddies, SuperB. Really its the moms entertaining ourselves, but you will get to see some cute pics of the kids 




The final thing that I am reminded of daily is how blessed I am by the incredible partner I have in this life. Another anniversary has come and gone and I look back at photos and really believe this was just yesterday, although not.  I would not a trade a day or season of the ups and downs of marriage because we are where we are today because of it all.  I am so very lucky to have a husband who strives to be the man our children and I deserve.  His love and support over the past year, in particular, have reminded me each day how fortunate I am.  12 years in a blink.  Hoping I can keep my eyes opened a bit longer during the next dozen and continue to enjoy each moment we are so lucky to have in this life.

 

The next few weeks will be filled with the chaos of back to school and schedules and routines.  But it will also be filled with memories of last year.  What an adventure life continues to be.  It will be a reflective few weeks and I really can't wait to sit and think about the past year. From diagnosis to birth to now.  What a blessing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!