Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Thursday, August 22, 2013

One year.

One year ago I went to our anatomy scan.

One year ago I couldn't wait to find out if we'd be having a new little girl or boy.

One year ago I sat with my doctor and he explained that my baby didn't appear to have a nasal bone.

One year ago the words were spoken: Marker for Down syndrome...
Recommend Level 2 ultrasound...
Talk to your husband and decide what you want to do...


One year ago I cried as I shared this with my husband.

One year ago he held me, comforted me and helped heal my briefly wounded heart.

One year ago I made an appointment to find out more information.

One year ago I began my obsessions with google.

One year the waiting began.

One year ago my faith was cemented.

365 days.

Wow.

It seems impossible that the time has swept through so quickly. Yet, I am grateful that it has in a way. Because now I am here and ok. Owen is here and ok. We've made onto the other side stronger and more wise.

I knew on some level a year ago that Owen would have t21. But the coming weeks will be full of anniversaries: out first appointments with the perinatalogists, our choice in testing, our results.

One year.

Looking back I really would not change a thing.

Would I have googled less?
No. I found so much that shaped my journey and how I approached it.

Would I have worried less?
No. It would have been impossible in those moments.

Would I have told more people?
No. I was somehow brought to the right people at the right time.

One year.

We've come so far already and I cannot wait to continue on this journey with my family.

Here is Owen at 20 weeks and at 7 months. Love that profile!




2 comments:

  1. One pretty amazing journey in the space of one short year. So glad you have been able to embrace it, for all its ups and downs, and enjoy that gorgeous baby boy of yours. As hard as it was, I would do it all again in an instant to have Nicholas in our family x

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Looking back I really would not change a thing." <3

    Me, too. Even Dr. Google. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!