Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Friday, October 12, 2012

One of those days

So today it hit me.  Am I perfect storm for pregnancy?  I started having some aching and contractions this morning and started to worry immediately.  I had been very worried about this with the boys after our experiences with Kate, but things have been going so well that I haven't really worried about it much with this pregnancy.

Here's a quick background....During my pregnancy with Kate, I started into labor and didn't even know around week 27.  When I saw the doctor, he noticed the signs and put me on bedrest.  That lasted a weekend before I was back in the office as we thought my water broke.  I was in the hospital for a week at that point while they stopped labor and gave me steroid shots for her lungs. Anyone who has experienced Magnesium Sulfate will understand what a horrible week that was.  Many parts I don't even recall because I was so out of it.  At any rate, I was released to bedrest at home and lasted until 32 weeks when it all started again and she was delivered that night. 

She spent 30 days in the NICU coming home the day after Mother's Day.  It was a frustrating and worrisome time, but thankfully within the year, she was right on track and you would never know looking at her today that she was 8 weeks early.

With the boys, I knew much more what to expect.  I was monitored much more closely and was also given weekly progesterone shots (17P) in hopes of keeping labor at bay.  I was on partial bedrest with the boys starting about week 18, too.  This all worked as Andy was 37 weeks and Colton made it to 39. 

Fast forward to this little one.  I am no longer "working" (ha ha ha!) and have a 14 month old to chase around. I have been feeling pretty fantastic (despite the heartburn and back aches).  I have been able to keep up, for the most part, and still be a mom and wife (and housekeeper and cook and...). 

Today, though, I started to get lots of tightening.  I started to freak out a bit.  Holy cow, what if this little one comes early?!?!  How will the impending diagnosis impact any other "preemie" issues that could come into play?

I am going to lay low this weekend and hope that things chill out.  I am 28 weeks this weekend, so barring any DS related issues, baby would spend time in the NICU, but probably be just fine.  Tiny and need lots of support, but fine.  

Praying for the little one to stay put.  Praying for me to know when to say when.  Praying for my family's understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!