Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Number 4 is on the way!

After the beauty of the positive pregnancy test, for me, the worry sets in. It is a constant barrage of questions in my mind:
  • Will I miscarry again?
  • Am I spotting?
  • Do my boobs hurt?
  • Will I make it to term?
  • What will my cervix do this time?
  • Will I get shots?
  • Will I be on bedrest? 
  • What about the other kiddos?
The list in endless, but in this pregnancy, started off much earlier.  As in the other pregnancies, I started spotting at 6 weeks.  I made an appointment and went in for an ultrasound.  The tech was quick and quiet and my heart sank.  As I waited to see the doctor, I knew I had not seen a heartbeat.  I googled in the waiting room what a 6 week ultrasound might look like.  Our little pics looked nothing like what I saw. I was sure of my dates, so I immediately thought the worst.  In meeting with the doc, she ordered a follow-up ultrasound in a week's time, but also did not give much hope.  Either my dates were off or this was a miscarriage.  I prepared for the worst.

That was a long week (and maybe a sign of things to come).  We went for the follow-up ultrasound expecting to see nearly the same thing.  However, this time I noticed something immediately-A HEARTBEAT!  It was unmistakable to my novice eye and we were so thrilled.  For now, the little one was right on track and beginning to grow into our newest baby.  We crafted a plan of attack beginning at week 15 with shots and a few cervical checks along the way.  I couldn't wait to see more pics of the little one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!