Our journey through a prenatal Trisomy 21 (Down syndrome) diagnosis and beyond

I wish it were possible to recognize at the beginning of our life’s story what an incredible journey we are truly on. If so, I would have sat down years ago and begun documenting all the ordinary and extraordinary events in this amazing life I have been blessed with. Sometimes, though, it may take just one more thing to open your eyes into the beauty of the life you have led and causes you to pause and truly count the blessings that are now so many they will never be enumerated.

If you are just joining us, please go back to September 2012 to get caught up.



Monday, June 17, 2013

Whoops!

So again I am beginning a post with apologies for the long break. I will update you on life in our world and then end with a photo bomb for all your patience.

Update--nothing, really! It is so good to say that. In terms of Owen, his only current issue is constipation (sorry buddy!). We are trying some foods because he is ready. He screams at dinner while we eat unless he gets something to snack on (prunes and applesauce lately). And he grabs at food if he is in striking distance. It is always nice to see him reach these milestones!

The other kiddos are doing well. We've adjusted to summer scheduling and it is great having them home. Colton appreciates it a lot; apparently I am not as amusing all day as the older ones are.

Owen will be 6 months at the end of this month and I can hardly believe it! We have been in the DS community for nearly 9 months. I wouldn't say a lot had changed, but I feel as though I have changed. In a very good way. My heart and mind are open to so much more.

To that end, I have been busy working on several projects. The first is putting together a book of sorts for new parents to the DS world. A new fabulous friend from down under is working with me and it has already been quite a journey. Collecting stories from moms all over the world about their experiences with DS has been an emotional adventure and I cannot wait to see how many families we are able to support in their own walk with Down syndrome.

The second project is something that has really been one that has been on my heart. A friend approached me about creating a group to support parents in, especially, the diagnosis phase of their path. There is just too much poor and misinformation out there around the realities of DS. In many cases the medical field is unwilling to supply parents with accurate information. In other cases, there is little to know information given at all. We are preparing to equip parents with accurate information and help them understand what life with DS is really like. I will reveal more details once we are ready, but I am so pumped to be using my energy towards such a worthy cause.

House building has proven to be more time consuming than I originally thought. We are busy making some decisions and hoping to complete the planning soon so we can get digging. More to come (hopefully soon!).



















No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!